Thursday, September 5, 2013

3 Top Supplements I Love for Babies!


As an herbal supplement health care provider in Santa Rosa, CA and a first time mom I've been on the lookout for natural supplements to make my baby happier and the motherhood journey just a little bit easier. Here are my top three finds in random order.

1. Wellements Organic Gripe Water for Colic.  While my baby never technically qualified for colic I was sure that sometimes his tummy was bothering him or he could use just a little extra calmness to soothe his fussy cries. My son absolutely loved this stuff as a young baby. He seemed to lap it up and ask for more. So much so that I tried it myself expecting it was going to be sweet. On the contrary it tasted like unsweetened Chamomile Tea. I noticed he was calmer and less fussy after taking it. We probably used 3 bottles of this stuff in the first year and a half of his life and have recommended it to numerous other parents.

2. Baby's Jarro-Dophilus  You've probably heard about using pro-biotics to help adults to restore the healthy gut flora? Well this is a powder that babies can use for the same purpose. This is great for treating and preventing thrush, especially if you are nursing and had to take anti-biotics or if baby had to take anti-biotics. The nice thing about it is you can mix it in water or put it directly on to the nipple of a bottle or breast for easy consumption. My son also seems to like this one and at two years old sometimes requests it. I was glad to get its immune stimulating properties once cold and flu season was upon us.

3. Grow and Thrive by Kan Herbals This one you do have to get through an acupuncturist or other type of herbal practitioner. This is a pediatric formula for children with failure to thrive or just poor digestion or susceptibility to food or environmental sensitivity/allergies.  I got into this formula when my then one year old was diagnosed with allergies and found as a byproduct it really helped him to catch up on his growth. I noticed improved digestion and bowel regularity, diminished cough and nasal congestion and a growth spurt that took him from below the charts to 25th percentile. I was quite pleased and I felt like true to its name it helped my son not just grow but also thrive. I've heard other parents praise this blend of Chinese herbs as well.

When looking for supplements for my baby I look at ingredients and quality of manufacturing. Generally, products made in the USA are safer sources than those made in China even when looking for Chinese Herbal products.

--Kat Delse Mardirous, L.Ac. is an acupuncturist and herbalist in Santa Rosa, CA as well as first time mother to a boisterous two year old. To contact Kat or for more information about obtaining supplements such as Kan's Grow and Thrive visit http://www.santarosa-acupuncture.com

No comments:

Post a Comment